Wednesday 20 January 2016

We had a Q & A sessions with Guild Member Bead Bitz



It’s a new year and a time when as business owners you review your business and decide what you will be working on over the following year, any changes you need to make and so on. For Karen at Bead Bitz, 2015 was the year she made changes to increase her potential to earn a better wage. Karen also joined TheProfessional Crafter’s Guild. This Q+A with Karen will show that you can change your business for the better and hopefully provide you with tips on how to do that.

Q: How long have you been in business?
A: Bead Bitz has been established for about 3 years.  However at the beginning of 2015 I made a conscious decision to develop it and move it to the next level.

Q: Why did you want to change aspects of your business and why do it at the beginning of the year?
A: It was a case of use it or lose it – I enjoy the craft work I do and I have been paid many compliments on the quality, design etc.  In addition I had some success in selling items.  It is a long held desire to have a part time income from this business – so in order to achieve that I had to either move forward or do nothing.
2015 was at a time in my life when I felt the most confident and positive to be able to do this.  The name was gaining a small amount of recognition so it was as if all the forces were coming together to do this.

Q: How did you prepare for changing your business?
A: I finalised the business cards – came up with a small business plan, which included what sales I wanted to make – what fairs I would attend etc and went about trying to achieve it.

Q: What has changing your business done for you?
A: It has given the business a better profile – higher sales and more regular viewers on my Facebook page.  It  has made me realise that I need to get the website changed and updated (this one I am struggling with due to lack of knowledge).   I have a better idea of what arena I want to be in and how to go about getting there.  2016 will be a continuation of the same with an intention to capitalise on the lessons I have learnt through this year.

Karen has made some great points here, you can’t make changes unless you know what you need to do. So;

  • Make a plan of what you want to achieve for the year.
  • Set yourself goals of when you would like to achieve each point on your plan.

  • For each point, jot down ideas on how you can achieve it (It may also be a good idea to look back on 2015 and see what didn’t work and cutting lose things that take up your time and don’t produce results you want).

  •  Put your ideas into practise !

Blog post created by Sarah O’Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment